Sunday 25 May 2014

Be a cork

It seems like there is a lot of change around me lately and I find myself wishing my own life could change. I usually am wishing that we could fast forward  the next 10 years to when we will be settled!
With these thoughts in my head I have read a few talks lately that have help put things back into perspective.
One of my favorites I read was "finding joy in life"  by Richard G. Scott. I love listening to talks by Elder Scott- his voice is so loving and tender. When I was in YSA in lethbridge Elder Scott came to visit and it was also that night I met Rope, so that might also be part of the reason he has a special place in my heart.
A few of my favorite quotes from his talk were...
"Do you take time to discover each day how beautiful your life can be? How long has it been since you watched the sun set? The departing rays kissing the clouds, trees, hills, and lowlands good night, sometimes tranquilly, sometimes with exuberant bursts of color and form. What of the wonder of a cloudless night when the Lord unveils the marvels of His heavens—the twinkling stars, the moonlight rays—to ignite our imagination with His greatness and glory?"


"A pebble held close to the eye appears to be a gigantic obstacle. Cast on the ground, it is seen in perspective. Likewise, problems or trials in our lives need to be viewed in the perspective of scriptural doctrine. Otherwise they can easily overtake our vision, absorb our energy, and deprive us of the joy and beauty the Lord intends us to receive here on earth. Some people are like rocks thrown into a sea of problems. They are drowned by them. Be a cork. When submerged in a problem, fight to be free to bob up to serve again with happiness."

"Find the compensatory blessings in your life when, in the wisdom of the Lord, He deprives you of something you very much want. To the sightless or hearing impaired, He sharpens the other senses. To the ill, He gives patience, understanding, and increased appreciation for others’ kindness. With the loss of a dear one, He deepens the bonds of love, enriches memories, and kindles hope in a future reunion. You  will discover compensatory blessings when you willingly accept the will of the Lord and exercise faith in Him."
This last quote was my favorite! Exactly what I needed to hear! Instead of focusing on things I think we deserve and are being deprived of I need to think of all the MANY blessing we do have and enjoy. Accepting the will of Heavenly Father is something I have been and will probably always be trying to get better at.

So for now I'm going to be a cork and enjoy the season we are in literally and figuratively. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment